12 Jackets/Coats in 2011

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Swap




Today I hope to interface the facing on my 6 gored skirt. Then if I get time tonight I would like to sew in the facing and hem the skirt. Here is a sketch of my skirt.






My sketching is getting better and I hope with a lot more practice it will continue to improve. At the moment I am working on drawing hands, feet, head and accessories. The sketching has been quite a challenge for me as I couldn't draw at all when I started. I feel it shows how good the course is when now I can draw like this. I am glad that the patternmaking part of the course isnt so hard for me.





After looking at skirts at the shops and in the pattern catalogues I have decided on a few designs and this skirt is the first that I am making for myself.


Here is a plan of the pattern. I drafted a straight skirt block and took 12mm of the waist at the back to accomodate my figure. Flared the pattern out about 33cm down from the waist, which is my mid thigh, then traced of the pattern peices ready for cutting. I made a facing pattern for the waist which is 5cm wide. When making the facing I placed the centre front or back next to the side front or back and traced of the half pattern.


When piecing the skirt together I sewed all the front and back pieces together and then pinned the side seams ready for fitting. As my fat sacks are on my backside and my thighs I had to let the skirt out a little at the thigh area and I had already altered the pattern for my swayback. Then I sewed the side seams and applied the invisible zipper.


This is the finished skirt worn with the shawl collar blouse. I like the fall of this skirt and I will definately be making it again.





No comments: