12 Jackets/Coats in 2011

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Draping a block on larger figures.

I know its been a while since I have posted as I have been really busy between family and working. I have had a lot of alteration jobs and some sewing of garment jobs as well.
This photo is when I was practicing draping the block I wanted on my daughter. After draping the block I drafted the sleeve to fit the block.

I have had success with draping a block on a larger figure and using the drape to draft knit top patterns and shirt patterns. I have made the shirts with differing collars and sleeves and lengths. I have also used the draped block to help alter commercial patterns for a couple of ladies. With some of the patterns I have altered, the draped block helped considerably as it showed some of the alterations that needed to happen even before tissue fitting the pattern like the shoulder slope, the position of the dart, the large difference between small shoulders a verly large bust and the shape of the armhole. All good learning experiences. I am enjoying learning about fitting and seeing the completed garments.

I will soon be using the draped block to draft a jacket pattern. I'm really looking forward to doing this. I wonder how many toiles I'll have to make before I get the pattern right?

No comments: