12 Jackets/Coats in 2011

Monday, December 31, 2007

Michelle's Formal Dress

I thought I would catch up with my posts firstly with Michelle's formal outfit. This is the very pretty Michelle.

This is the sketch that Michelle drew for me to make her design from.

This is a rough sketch I did so I would know how to draft the pattern. I made her block with no ease at the bust and waist and with 4cm ease in the hip area. When making her pattern from her block I left in the waist darts in the front and transferred the back darts into centre back shaping and the side seams. I also darted out some from the dropped back. I should have taken out more from the dropped back for a better fit (lesson learned)

I worked on this dress and overskirt at the same time as Ethans formal outfit so I was really pushed for time. Michelle drew the design that she wanted, a short dress with a lace up back and a cowl on the front with a detachable sheer overskirt.
The dress was a satin fabric overlaid with the sheer organza. I used the satin fabric for the band on the overskirt. The draft wasn't too hard. The overskirt was a full circle with a cascade on either side of the opening, which was at side front. The dress was a basic shift style with a side zipper and the back cut out. The back was then laced up.
The dress front.

The dress back.
The bead embroidered disc which I added over the closure. The centre of this disc is a button with a butterfly on it. It was a metal button that my son grinded the shank off, I glued the button to the fabric and then sewed the beads around it. Considering how much time I had the design turned out pretty good and Michelle was very happy.

No comments: